Would you go back walking for 10 days?

Even others would say that fossilization like this is also possible in a 6000 year earth.None of these checks would convince a fundamentalist. One thing I will say is that I admire a theist who has the fortitude to launch an offensive here, a head on collision with science. You basically do the following;1- You tell them they are stupid.2- You tell them their family is stupid.3- You tell them that their hopes, dreams, and everything they ever did for their religion was stupid and useless.4- You tell them that you know better and they should listen to you.Their experience is different than yours.

People have the habit of radicalizing when faced with opposition, so i know having freedom of religion will be good for the people on the short term, but on the long term it will only bring more conflicts. One thing I will say is that I admire a theist who has the fortitude to launch an offensive here, a head on collision with science. If you can show it to be true(or an oversight) and I’ve misjudged then I’ll be the first to admit the mistake and say ‘sorry about that.’ Yes..You want to combat a religious fanatic using logic, evidence, and explanation.They will tell you that all your evidence is false, because god created everything, and it doesn’t say in the bible that it took 13 billion years to form the universe. Don’t get me wrong, I agree with most of what you say. That all the good things in their lives are because of god. Religion no difference.. They weren’t brought on board, died and fossilized (a claim easily made by someone who doesn’t understand this science). – Both could be claimed, some would argue that god placed them there, to test our faith. I don’t know what more theists can ask from a science forum. And dictates you should decapitate people who disagree with you.

They meant a mans essence. – We were granted extra years to prove ourselves, which we should do by bowing down to god and praising him for letting us live as long as we do. – The bible never stated anything about dinosaurs that made it into the ark. I kind of like this new easy going approach. Would you go back walking for 10 days? Or would you simply continue because you know you at least are 10 days closer to something? Is why you are an atheist, or agnostic. What I mean is your above statements are baseless claims, they need backing (evidence, citation). However I have really mellowed out. This person doesn’t seem like he is better in any shape than you, his clothes are just as thorn, and just as thirsty and hungry as you.

Originally Posted by zinjanthropos I was like you Z, said the same things, scratched and shook my head over this kind of stuff all the time. It brought order to a world of chaos. Maybe it’s because we have science as a partner. At least leave me a bread crumb. I think times have changed.

As we as humans are special.. They believe we are ignorant for needing evidence, and not having faith. I stay away from accusing theists of being this or that but I see nothing wrong with attacking the religion by defending.

If I’m wrong and I get to face God, I think he’ll pat me on the back and say, ‘you did the right thing kid, there was no way you could’ve known.’ You say, they lose every time. Couple terms you don’t see much of anymore describing theists are brainwashed and delusional, so popular once and many of us used it consistently. Those terms have practically disappeared and I think it’s because of their personal attack nature, an ad hom of sorts, useless against weakening the theist stance. Originally Posted by ox In the case of Adam and Eve: ‘So you believe woman was made from a rib?’The Fall of Man: ‘So you believe before then people lived for 950 years?’Noah’s Ark: ‘So did dinosaurs make it into the Ark?’6000 year old earth: ‘So you believe fossils were put there by the devil?’ People who could be considered apologists could claim the following to this. – The rib was meant to be a figure of speech. They don’t. I say, most of the time they think they won as well… They believe their prayers are answered.

However I have really mellowed out. Couple terms you don’t see much of anymore describing theists are brainwashed and delusional, so popular once and many of us used it consistently. I’m sure there are atheists who post on religious forums where they can just banish you. I am an atheist who despises religion. I was like you Z, said the same things, scratched and shook my head over this kind of stuff all the time. As religion takes away responsibility, and responsibility is what makes people good and just. How can an all knowing god, have regrets of doing anything. (creating mankind, thus flooding the earth)Why would an all powerful god, need us to worship him?If he is all knowing and all powerful and omnibenevolent, how can there be evil? If he simply does not care about us, he isn’t omnibenevolent, or he doesn’t know all, or cannot act, he isn’t all knowing or all powerful. By telling them that it wasn’t, they feel like you attack everything that is good in their lives.Imagine, you walking through a rainforest, no idea which way civilisation is, nor which way you should go.

Let me put this straight. I am an atheist who despises religion. Delusional, we are all also. Reduce their arguments to absurdity can be the only strategy. Or that we share an unbroken lineage to all the life on this planet.The last bit you said I’m as ignorant about stuff as the next guy, maybe I should have known about responsibilities, but I’m very leery about accepting a claim without support even if I may agree with it.

Brainwashed we are all.. I’ve bumped into all sorts of professional people of a science background who suddenly spout Adam and Eve, the Fall of Man and so on.In the case of Adam and Eve: ‘So you believe woman was made from a rib?’The Fall of Man: ‘So you believe before then people lived for 950 years?’Noah’s Ark: ‘So did dinosaurs make it into the Ark?’6000 year old earth: ‘So you believe fossils were put there by the devil?’Reduce their arguments to absurdity can be the only strategy. And i say, it WAS. Going to take time. The last thing anyone would want to do to combat creationists is to do as they do. I abhor it. I don’t despise religion. There is no freedom in religion, thus it doesn’t deserve freedom in itself.

Z, I’m sure you’re a very nice person so don’t take this the wrong way. Sure they lose every time but it takes nerve. Originally Posted by zinjanthropos I was like you Z, said the same things, scratched and shook my head over this kind of stuff all the time. As now, religion has changed, from the offensive, to the defensive one. They’re generally not quick with the axe, ask the correct questions, usually in a polite manner and give the theist an opportunity to prove themselves. I abhor it. So, christians are victims now for the first time. Couple terms you don’t see much of anymore describing theists are brainwashed and delusional, so popular once and many of us used it consistently.

I am an atheist who despises religion. IMHO it is rare to see an atheist get agitated in religious debates. What I mean is your above statements are baseless claims, they need backing (evidence, citation). If they believe the bible to be true, and the ultimate word of god, how can it contradict itself.How can an all knowing god, have regrets of doing anything. (creating mankind, thus flooding the earth)Why would an all powerful god, need us to worship him?If he is all knowing and all powerful and omnibenevolent, how can there be evil? If he simply does not care about us, he isn’t omnibenevolent, or he doesn’t know all, or cannot act, he isn’t all knowing or all powerful.If you claim that evolution is real, they would go as far as agree (that organisms can change), up until you say we came from a common ancestor as chimps. As religion takes away responsibility, and responsibility is what makes people good and just. They always have an apology ready.Asking is more useful than trying to teach them by throwing facts at their heads.

Been removed so the rest made sense You critically evaluate data. They don’t see themselves as beat, they see us as stupid fools who disobey god and who will be punished for eternity in the afterlife.You say, they lose every time. I think it is the feeling of superiority. There’s a difference between thinking you’ve won and actually winning, IMHO. Can’t say the same for the theists at the table. This is the worst strategy you can have.

You walk for days in one direction Then you meet someone who says you should go all the way back. Each time they’re beaten is another grain eroded away from the rock of religion. [QUOTE=Zwolver;604958] Originally Posted by zinjanthropos I don’t think it is nerve. And i don’t like people who play the victim. Only few people didn’t pick up any trait from their parents. Thus they “prove” all your evidence is false, and a conspiracy by the devil to test their faith.I will tell you that this will not work.I do not have baseless claims, i used logic to use the bible to contradict the bible. They believe we are ignorant for needing evidence, and not having faith. Even better if you pretend to be a theist that has doubts. They don’t see themselves as beat, they see us as stupid fools who disobey god and who will be punished for eternity in the afterlife. If a religion dictates that it is more important than a states laws.

I say, most of the time they think they won as well… What strategies should the science community do to combat fundamentalism and what if the fundamentalist is a scientist?You need to keep a checklist in your head. Sure they lose every time but it takes nerve. So in my mind the answer is one of public policy – there must be freedom of religion economics essay writer
, But i disagree. Originally Posted by zinjanthropos The last thing anyone would want to do to combat creationists is to do as they do. I abhor it.

Others that the devil did. I think it is the feeling of superiority. Don’t get me wrong, I agree with most of what you say. I can’t imagine going through life thinking a belief will punish me in an afterlife, when there is absolutely no sane reason to believe in the first place, none whatsoever. They ignore all data or evidence that refutes their beliefs. It was a necessary evil. People don’t choose a religion, it is forced upon them since childhood.

It shouldn’t be free to choose this religion.Besides, there is no freedom of religion inside religion itself. We see the world differently from what it really is. If you can show it to be true(or an oversight) and I’ve misjudged then I’ll be the first to admit the mistake and say ‘sorry about that.’ I’m as ignorant about stuff as the next guy, maybe I should have known about responsibilities, but I’m very leery about accepting a claim without support even if I may agree with it.edit: sorry, the word ‘not’ was an error in the 2nd sentence. I stay away from accusing theists of being this or that but I see nothing wrong with attacking the religion by defending.

I like the way our moderators tolerate theists. I don’t think it is nerve.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *